Archiving emails in Microsoft Outlook is one big thing that many find difficult to do even with the new versions of Outlook 2013, 2016 and 2019.
However, today on this page, I will share with you the full guide on how to archive in outlook 2016 and 2013.
These are the newest versions available in outlook 365 archive settings for emails.
For sometimes now, people do ask a series of questions like;
- How do I archive outlook 2019?
- How does archive work in outlook?
- How do I create an archive folder in outlook?
If you are among those asking such questions, then no need to worry again; as I will show you the answers to all your questions now.
I hope you are still with me? Follow me, let’s see.
You can agree with me that your outlook mailbox is so big that you can’t stop getting an email anytime, same as Gmail, Yahoo mail, etc.
Hence, to make space for incoming emails and keep your mailbox from filling up, then you need to archive some emails.
Thereby moving old mails and items to archive that has a separate Outlook data file known as (.pst), and you can open this file anytime you like.
However, outlook makes use of the Auto Archive feature to archive items by default sometimes.
Nevertheless, you can as well archive emails manually, and by so doing, you control, store, and file the items anytime you like.
Let’s quickly see the available step-by-step guide on how to archive in outlook 2016.
Read Also: How to Transcribe an Interview
How to Archive in Outlook 2016
Below here are the simple steps on how to archive in Outlook 2016/2013.
Now, follow these steps carefully.
- Depending on the version you are using, do any of the following.
FOR OUTLOOK 2013:
- Click on File then >>> Info
- Select Cleanup Tools >>> Archive.
FOR OUTLOOK 2016:
- Click on File >>> Info
- Select Tools >>> Clean up old items.
NOTE: If your mail profile is connected to an Exchange server, Archive and AutoArchive might not work, possibly because your organization overrides the AutoArchive due to the mail retention policy. Hence, check the system administrator for more details.
2. Locate “Archive this folder and all subfolders” option, then click on it and select the folder you want to archive.
3. Now enter a date under “Archive items older than.”
- Create a multiple .pst files if you wish to use different settings to archive some folders.
For example, you may decide to keep items in the sent folder for long more than the ones in your inbox folder.
- Make sure to check the box for “Include items with ‘Do not AutoArchive’ checked”, to archive the items manually that are not among Auto Archiving.
This feature only ignores the Do not AutoArchives settings but does not remove the exclusion from the items.
- Finally, click, OK.
Read Also: How to void a Check in QuickBooks
How to Turn off AutoArchive
If you wish to archive manually at any convenient time you want, then you need to turn off AutoArchive.
To do that, follow this quick guide.
- Click on File >>> Options >>> and then Advanced.
- Click on AutoArchive Settings located under AutoArchive.
- Then uncheck the box with “Run AutoArchive every n days.”
Voila! That is all you need to know on how to archive in outlook 2016 and 2013.
I believe you have learned how to archive emails in outlook 365, take advantage of it today, and archive those emails in your mailbox.