You may have noticed the link at the top of this page which says “Bucket List”, a list of things to do before I kick the bucket, before I die. I haven’t written much about it in literally years so I felt it’s about time I went through it and discussed a few things. So that’s what this post is all about.
9) See the Northern Lights (ATTEMPTED, FAILED)- It would be so fantastic to see the Northern Lights, and unforgettable sight. I don’t think I’ll see them anytime soon but I should have seen them by now. Back in 2006 I spent a week skiing in Finland and was well within the zone where they are visible most of time at night (I think it was about 70% of the time). But the five or so nights I was there were part of the 30% of time when the Northern Lights can’t be seen.
10) Visit these places: Italy, Spain, China, USA (YET TO COMPLETE)- I think I sort of might have done 1/4 of this. Last summer I went on holiday to Majorca which is a Spanish island. Does that count? I suppose it does! I can say I’ve been to Spain now so it does count. I said so.
13) Be at an important sporting final (World Cup, FA Cup, Olympics or something else) (YET TO COMPLETE)- The London Olympics were a fantastic chance to achieve this. You may have read how much I was obsessed with the Olympics and I really would have liked to have gone. Unfortunately it was the financial aspect. I’ve not had very much money at all this summer and so tickets for the Olympics as well as the cost of getting to and from London was unaffordable. I’m gutted by that fact.
17) Go to E3/Comic Con (YET TO COMPLETE)- I don’t tend to update the list very often as I see the things on it as long term goals. Originally this was just to go to E3, the massive gaming expo, but I’ve now added that it should be that or go to Comic Con in San Diego, the biggest comic convention. I’d love to go to either and would have the most amazing time. I could probably get tickets to either but with them both being a thousand odd miles away (that’s probably really inaccurate but all I know is it’s a long way) this doesn’t look to be happening any time soon.
23) Fall in love (COMPLETED)- I’ve yet to do the write up on this one because it’s kind of hard. I’ve probably achieved this a few times, but love is hard to define. At what point does attraction to someone develop into love, how do you know? I can say that I have definitely been in love at least once. I was with my ex-girlfriend for nigh-on two years and I definitely loved her. I hope one day in the not to distant future I will find love all over again and eventually I will complete 24 and 25 on the list which are to get married and have children.
28) See a sunrise and sunset (YET TO COMPLETE)- OK, I have seen both of these but the point is to see them both in the same day. I see sunset every day but I hardly ever see a sunrise. Not properly, in a place where you can actually see it rising without buildings or trees getting in the way. The trouble is that at the time of sunrise I am not likely to be in a place where I can see it. Normally I’m in bed. I might try and set aside a day to do this in a few weeks time though.
32) Win something worth having (COMPLETED)- This is literally a brand new achievement. Every year iTunes do a big festival in London where every night for a month a different artist performs. There’s a limited number of tickets though and you have to apply and hope you get some. I’ve been applying for this for years but this year I finally won! On Friday I’ll be heading down to London to see Labrinth, who is one of my fave musical acts around at the moment and I am very excited about it!
37) Be a vegetarian for a month (YET TO COMPLETE)- I want to do this as a sort of experiment. Will it make me feel healthier? Will it help me to understand why people are vegetarians? And do I have enough self control to do it? And this is now going to happen in October and you can expect me to blog about it over that month. If all goes to plan I’ll get a/some guest posts about being a vegetarian. Join me for Veggie Month this October (I can’t believe this is actually going to happen!)
46) Make a prank call (COMPLETED)-I’m not sure why I haven’t done a write up for this yet. I’m a bit shy and doing a prank call is something I would normally just get really nervous about. I did a fantastic one a few years ago where I took a number of my friend’s phone and called it on my phone. It was someone I didn’t know and I pretended I was called Martha and was chatting this guy up, despite the fact that I made no effort to change my voice in any way. It was frankly hilarious and the guy at the other end was just really confused about what was going on. He stayed on the line for a quite a while though.
Well I think that’s a good update. Check out the Bucket List page to see the whole list and from there you can see how/when I’ve achieved the things I’ve achieved. And stay tuned for Veggie Month in October!