A fairly early start for a Saturday today, due to the fact that Mrs R. wanted me to send her my history coursework ASAP. A lot of the time I spent on it today was taking out words so that I could fit a conclusion within the word limit. This happened and I sent it off, so all’s good.
That took most of the day actually I didn’t really do much for the rest of it. I have an idea though of what to fill this blog with though. As it is nearly time for an election I wondered what I would do if I ever became Prime Minister, and here is my “manifesto”!
1) Electoral Reform- Put in proportional representation, allow people to vote from the age of 16.
2) Defence/Military- Bring the army back from Afghanistan as soon as is possible. Reduce the number of nuclear weapons hugely.
3) Minor Crime- Install a new mini-ASBO system. People can be given a warning for minor crimes and then a fine if they commit a second minor crime, with the fine gradually increasing until a prison sentence is given after ten such crimes. Minor crimes consist of dropping litter (with severer fines for chewing gum), spitting, minor theft and the like.
4) Major Crime- Life sentences will mean life.
5) Smoking/Alcohol- Smoking will be banned from all public places in the UK. Taxes on both cigarettes and alcohol will heavily increase.
6) Transport- Tax on petrol will heavily increase and this tax will be put into improvements to public transport. More and cheaper buses, cheaper and faster trains etc.
7) Immigration- There will be much stricter policies on who can move here. Immigrants must have a job lined up or a specialist skill which will help them get a job.
8) Economy- We will change our currency to the Euro. It will make everything a lot simpler. MPs expenses will be greatly reduced and the “Robin Hood” tax will be introduced (taking money from the rich and giving it to the poor)
9) Education. University fees will be reduced and eventually phased out completely. SATs will be abolished and GCSEs and A-levels will take a more practical and oral approach, rather than being exam based.
10) Media/Technology- The BBC will be protected where possible. More money will be put into technology and the British Space Agency.
I think that’s a pretty good manifesto. Feel free to discuss your opinions.