Let’s run through today fairly quick then!
History. Mr R acted like a Top of the Pops presenter and counted down from 10, “10 Important Things we need to know”.
Eng Lit. We discussed some poems in general and supposedly did a practice essay. Not that any of us did it. I have another poem to talk to you about today and that is The Twa Corbies, another work by that fabulous Mr. Anon. It is from the voice of two crows (corbies) as they rip apart the body of a knight killed in battle. They say how he will be soon forgotten by the people who loved him. Sad little poem really. Link on the poetry page (it’s written in dialect too!).
Geology. We did some revision again. Exciting stuff.
One of the themes that ran through today was Shakespeare. He just kept turning up in conversation. In Eng we realised another poet had written a poem VERY similar to one he wrote afterwards and we wondered if old Will nicked all his ideas. Maybe.
Whilst on Twitter this evening I found Mary Queen of Scots and I couldn’t help but wonder if I could use her tweets in my exam to support my argument. Something tells me not.
A special feature today, it’s iPod Shuffle time. Five songs, and I will talk about them. Could be very embarrassing…
1) Just Jack- Starz In Their Eyes. Though Jack sounds like a chav this is a decent little song. Catchy rhythm and has clever lyrics that show us the problems of the modern celebrity culture. Good start.
2) Guilty-Marina and the Diamonds. Marina has become my new fave artist this year and her album The Family Jewels is really good, not a bad song on it. This however is one of the worse songs but it’s still fucking amazing. Hopefully I will get to see her perform in the near future. The album is out today in the US by the way.
3) Fuck You- Lily Allen. This song didn’t chart very well here as none of the radio station’s were allowed to play it. In mainland Europe though they seem to care less about such things and it was a big hit. Despite the chorus using such strong language it is still a cheery little song. Worth a listen if you like other Lily Allen songs.
4) United States of Eurasia- Muse. This is a rock symphony and really sounds like a Queen song. It is off their latest and arguably greatest album, The Resistance. Words can’t do it justice. Just amazing.
5) You Want History- The Kaiser Chiefs. One of the many bad songs of their third album. Two brilliant albums and they then went and made this load of mostly crap, but I put that down to having Mark Ronson as a producer. It’s not a mix that works. This one gets skipped.
Well that was fun. See you tomorrow!